Masters in Landscape
Design - Installation - Enhancements - Makeovers - Renovations
Residential - Commercial - Institutional - Multi-family - Corporate - Utilities
Drainage / Erosion Solutions
Settling Along Foundation Walls:
- Surface grade drains toward foundation rather than away
- Window wells low or separated from foundation wall allow water to spill into well
Solutions may be as simple as:
- Correcting the grade pitch away from wall
- Resetting or replacing window wells & sealing
More complex solutions may involve:
- resetting of plantings
- removing ridges in adjoining lawn
- extending downspouts further from building or connecting into a tile system
Disconnect downspouts from public sewer system?
- It may be simple - such as extending the downspouts out into the adjoining lawn
- Or it may involve grading, tilling, drainage swale, a French Drain, or other means
- We get asked more and more often for ideas and solutions
Low spots in lawn collect or hold water or even flood over patio door stoops.
Serious low spots can cause grass to die, tree and plantings to decline or even die out.
- Is a laser transit level grades study needed? Sometimes we need to do this to truly know.
- Can filling and/or regrading be a sufficient solution?
- Is tiling to a storm drain, drainage swale, or to a wetland a good solution?
- No place to drain to? A below ground drainage solution, such as a French Drain, may be the answer.
A "mock" or actual "watercourse" ending in a "bed" of stone may be an answer (as in a Japanese Garden).
See sustainable landscapes.
Plantings as Water Absorbers
- Many varieties of trees, shrubs, and perennials plantings readily take up water and expire it into the air
- Plantings often are partners in solutions - even solutions in themselves.
Create a WaterScape or RainGarden as part of Solution
- See Waterscapes.
- Channel erosion causing waters through a stone lined watercourse - normally dry but active in storms?
- Watercourses can also include water absorbing plantings as aids - or simply for decorative value. See Waterscapes and Sustainable Landscapes.
- Water absorbent woven "fabrics" can move waters below the surface of lawns, landscapes & pavement.
- Erosion control "fabrics" exist for all types of erosion and water movement needs.